Friday, May 25, 2007

Wale Street, Cape Town, At Dusk

Wale Street, Cape Town

Yesterday evening I was crossing Wale Street opposite St. George's Cathedral and noticed that they have just retarred the road. I took a moment - as one should - to let the 12-year-old in me out and spent about 30 seconds stomping around on the new tar with great joy (who knows what people thought, but who cares), while there was no fear of me being driven over by a large truck, since the road was cordoned off to let the tar dry out properly.

I then happened to look up the road towards Signal Hill, and saw the view. The sun had set a few minutes before, the lights had come on, and it was getting dark, but it wasn't quite there yet. It was one of those moments. I grabbed my camera, and took this shot.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tarry, tarry night...

Friday, May 25, 2007 1:38:00 PM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

LOL. Well, that too! I didn't even think of it. I think I need to employ your services in future to write my titles.

Friday, May 25, 2007 2:09:00 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Lucky it had already set by the time you got there, else you'd have been a bit tardy getting home :-)

Friday, May 25, 2007 5:57:00 PM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

I declare myself truly outclassed by my visitors...but that's okay...

Monday, May 28, 2007 1:38:00 PM  
Blogger Francois Maree said...

Shall we tar & feather her?

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:09:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

*YOU* can do better than that. I declare myself momentarily reclassed.

(And the answer is "no", by the way, if I have any say in it.)

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Another word for your Glossary "Tarred" Being a Capetonian whos has been in Australia for a bloody long time(am I still a Capetonian?)it took me years to stop calling a tarred road as such.In the wider world the process or tarring an existing road is called "resealing the bitumen".I find your use of language very stimulating.

Sunday, September 02, 2007 3:38:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

Noted. Thank you. I will add it in a few days.

Sunday, September 02, 2007 11:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Home

(Since Blogger broke my template you'll have to access
older/newer posts via the archive links in the sidebar.)