Tuesday, September 20, 2005

A Reminder That All Is Not Right With The World

I realised a few days ago that I haven't posted to my blog in a while. This is largely because I haven't had much to say, and I refuse to post just because it's there. I believe in quality over quantity. For the last month my thoughts have primarily been consumed with Astro Wars strategising, and tweaking the design for brainwavez.org (mainly CSS/browser compatibility issues, which have been driving me crazy). I am thinking about making the site live soon, and ironing out the bugs later (sorry IE6 PC people), as I'm tired of it being an unfinished project.

Coincidentally (or perhaps not) the latest Astro Wars game ended today, and I found myself arbing[*] around Blogger/Blogspot looking at random blogs. Usually it ends up being a huge waste of time viewing endless rubbish, but the occasional gem can make it worthwhile.

Today I found this post. The picture, taken by Larry Burrows in the 60s, says it all. I think it is one of the most amazing photographs that I have ever seen. The post led me to the work of Michael Yon, and independent observer/journalist in Iraq who has been following American soldiers on raids and writing about his personal experiences of the conflict in Iraq. Whether or not you agree with what is happening there, his photographs were a reminder to me that while I sit here comfortably at work hammering out a little bit of text on my computer people all over the world live in great fear and constant danger. There is conflict happening all over right now.

It's almost too much to comprehend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Home

(Since Blogger broke my template you'll have to access
older/newer posts via the archive links in the sidebar.)