Thursday, August 31, 2006

My Contribution To BlogDay 2006

Today is BlogDay, and my task is to highlight five new blogs that I've been keeping an eye on. I don't really know what constitutes "new" so I've chosen five that were started within the last year and show promise.

In no particular order:

I Eat Therefore I Am
The fascinating blog highlights cuisine from all over the world. The contributors review restaurants, discuss various dishes, post photographs, and occasionally share recipes. The informal style of the writing draws you in and makes you feel as though you were there with the reviewers, rather than with many restaurant reviews that are distant and come across as elitist.

SouleMama
I don't really know how to describe this blog except that it's primarily a photoblog of motherhood and suburbia (the good kind of suburbia that we see in Hollywood movies that are charming and sentimental). I just love to scroll through the archives and look at all the pictures, in much the same way as I enjoy reading Audi's Blog (*wave*), which I've had in my blogroll for a while and, I'm sure anyone who knows me would say, seems completely unrelated to things that are generally known to be of interest me. (No, my biological clock is not ticking. Shuddup.)

Tedibear's Den
I found this site recently via Blogger's wonderful, random, "Next Blog" function. I have a family member who is very interested in real-life scrapbooking so I found this site, which publishes virtual scrapbook-page designs/templates, very interesting, as I had never heard of "digital scrapping" before. The designs are wonderful and I'm sure each new release is a treat for...er...digital scrappers. Best of all - they're provided for free as high-res PNG files with relevant transparent areas (zipped to make them slightly smaller to download), although the service that is used for the downloads can be a bit tricky to work with.

A Kristian Service
Right. Slight cheating here because this blog has been going for almost a year, but I love to visit it and can't resist highlighting it for BlogDay. Kristian Antonelli is a "drawrerer" from London and this blog showcases his doodles, sketches, and a few finished works for our perusal. If you can't get enough, you might also want to have a look at "Kristianimator", a few postings of Kristian's sketches that have been animated.

Ramblings of a Single Mom
Last, but not least, Ramblings of a Single Mom. This blog is already well-known in the South African blogosphere but perhaps not yet elsewhere. I enjoy reading it because it comprises the "ramblings" of a fellow Capetonian (and I love Cape Town blogs) and it provides a slice of life in my own back yard that's very different to my life experiences.

5 Comments:

Blogger thanh7580 said...

Thanks Mandy for recommending our blog "I Eat Therefore I Am". I will be doing my recommendations now, albeit a day late :-).

Friday, September 01, 2006 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

No problem. I really enjoy reading your blog!

Friday, September 01, 2006 11:03:00 AM  
Blogger Katt said...

I need to get my head out my butt. I didn't even know it was a special day on the 31st.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 4:28:00 PM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

I found out by accident. I can't even remember how. I just suddenly *knew* and then put the special badge on my blog to remind me (with me thigns are very definitely out of sight, out of mind).

It also may actually have been the 30th, and not the 31st...

(But it's the thought that counts! :)

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 4:55:00 PM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

Erp. That should be "things", not "thigns". I need a special program that will reinterpret my typing because I make that mistake hundreds of times a day.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 4:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Home

(Since Blogger broke my template you'll have to access
older/newer posts via the archive links in the sidebar.)