Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A Ster-Kinekor Rant (It Won't Be The Last)

Dear Ster-Kinekor,

I spent most of Friday trying to buy tickets, for a show yesterday, on your web site*, and eventually gave up after about five hours of the site not loading properly and the functionality, therefore, not working.

I tried again on Monday and finally managed to get those tickets. The email confirmation arrived (so glad that "feature" is finally working...) with all the details, bar the time of the show. This omission has been a problem for months but I guess you never test your site for quality-control purposes or you would have noticed it by now.

My friend and I trundled off to Cavendish Commercial last night. We went to the Ticketline machines to swipe my card, only to find a large queue. Surprised, I looked around, wondering if perhaps I'd confused the Ticketline machines with the Self Service machines since, you know, they look exactly the same, but no, we were at a Ticketline machine. Last time I used one they were for checking "moviemoola" (ugh) points and for picking up pre-bought tickets, whereas the Self Service machines were for those chancers who decide at the last minute to arrive for a show and don't want to stand in the very long queues at the ticket desks, so they stand in the long queues at the Self Service machine and touch-screen interface their way to purchasing.

So why is it, Ster-Kinekor, that, after I had gone to considerable effort to pre buy my tickets so that I wouldn't have to stand in a queue, I could just swipe my card quickly, I had to stand in a queue and wait while people ahead of me used the Ticketline machines to buy tickets? When did the Ticketline and Self Service machines become the same thing? Why do you hate me so much, especially considering all the money I give you?

Your constantly pissed-off customer,

Mandy J Watson

* Which is supposedly brand-new, improved, yadda yadda...

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

Oh LOL. I was, like, "Moderator"?

You [*] need to change your profile name to something less ominous.

The bad news is that SK is the biggest cinema chain in SA, which is why, I think, it gets away with treating its customers like crap. In fact, when you eventually visit, if we go to the movies I'm probably hauling you off to this particular SK cinema, since that's where you can find the big (relatively speaking) screen.

Although, for quaint artiness, we should probably go to the Labia.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 9:59:00 AM  
Blogger kyknoord said...

Mandy, SK hate you because you are better looking.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 1:55:00 PM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

...than a site that never loads?

Er...thanks!

Thursday, July 13, 2006 2:02:00 PM  
Blogger kyknoord said...

Thanks for the blinky linky. This is looked upon most favourably ;-)

Thursday, July 13, 2006 10:39:00 PM  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

cool- lemme add my 2c... since my nearest ster kinekor dropped their prices to entice patrons- their service and facilities have SERIOUSLY fallen off the bus!
the queues are the least of my annoyances (i'm a self-sevice-touch-screen-button-junkie)! finding a seat once in the theatre (since you sit where you like now) that is dry, in one piece and DOESN'T automatically recline onto the knees of the person behind you- takes it out of me completely... i'm down a bottle of water and half my popcorn by the time i have walked all the seating aisles twice!! and then after the movie (you don't go during the movie for fear of standing on the face of someone who couldn't find a non-reclining seat in the dark) its a mad dash to the nearest public toilets- because in their own loos you get a prize if you can find a loo seat that's still attached to the bowl!

Friday, July 14, 2006 9:45:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

Kyknoord: *shhhhh!* What are you saying there? Say nothing. Other people potentially involved in that thing we're not talking about need to think they have a chance at something that I'm not referring to.

Angle: Wow. Ok. Occasionally I go to SK Kenilworth Centre, where the seats are just as dodgy as you have described, but the cinema is so small that I don't think it even has toilets (not that I would dare use them anyway). But don't be cryptic - name it and shame it! I'm on a crusade!

Friday, July 14, 2006 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

I think I would pay to watch you attempt to do damage with a baseball bat, especially since I'm sure you'll be wearing your tinfoil hat at the time. It would make a great post for my blog (assuming you hit a Cape Town SK).

Monday, August 21, 2006 10:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Home

(Since Blogger broke my template you'll have to access
older/newer posts via the archive links in the sidebar.)