Thursday, June 29, 2006

Home From My Holiday

I returned to work today, and the omens presented themselves as soon as I entered the building. My keycard wouldn't let me through the security post. After reporting the problem I've since been told by the man in the know that "I've checked the card and there is nothing wrong. It should work." Of course.

A few minutes later, up in my office, I wanted to use my desk phone, only to find that it had a giant, greasy (or sticky, perhaps - I'm not really sure because I don't want to touch it) hand print on it. And I couldn't dial out. In fact, I couldn't even dial other extensions. I tried removing the hand print with washing-up liquid, but you can still see it.

Later my phone rang and it was a support person assigned to investigate the complaint about it not working. Turns out that someone had flipped the switch on my phone from "tone" to "pulse", so it was a simple matter to fix (but why and who was messing with my phone? And how did it end up with the gungy handprint?)

When I had time I decided to go to the Big Brother web site to stream some of the free clips and catch up on the latest news. (I miss that show!) So, long story short, it turns out that the streaming service only works on certain Windows PCs, and I am on a Mac, so I can't watch Big Brother. I am devastated.

On the plus side it was one colleague's birthday, so she brought in very tasty cake, and the colleagues with whom I share an office brought in snacks and a very special apple strudle - "for high tea" - for a welcome-back celebration, which was very sweet.

Meanwhile, I am still working on my travelogues and will be back posting them into my blog as and when I have time, before reworking them for my web site and writing various articles and reviews that I have in mind. However, I first have to get through a pile of work sitting on my desk...

2 Comments:

Blogger AngelConradie said...

that's one thing i love now (compared to my old job) is carrying my office in my bag & over my shoulder- no creepy handprints or people messing with my pc anymore or not being able to find my coffee mug.
then again, i don't get cake or high tea... okay- lemme think on this some more...

Friday, July 14, 2006 9:49:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

The cake and high tea are a bonus due completely to two individuals in my particular office. It's not for everyone :)

I lock my mug away for fear it will be used or stolen.

As for that hand print, you can still see it. I can't get it off my phone. It's so gross. And I still don't know who the hell was messing with my phone, or why. I mean, it's my phone. It's not a shared phone. It's on my desk, it's my extension, it's mine!

Yuck.

Friday, July 14, 2006 10:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Home

(Since Blogger broke my template you'll have to access
older/newer posts via the archive links in the sidebar.)