Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Jacob Zuma Immortalised In Paint (Briefly)

I have an unwritten* rule regarding this blog and that is not - as far as is possible - to write about religion, politics, or whatever the third thing is. I'm supposed to focus on Cape Town, interspersed with the odd** life experience.

However, the "politics" and "Cape Town" concepts collided yesterday evening as I was on my way home. I am particularly interested in graffiti and noticed that the following had been stencilled on a construction and advertising barricade that surrounds the Mandela Rhodes Place development:

Stencilled image of Jacob Zuma

Above: The stencilled image of Jacob Zuma, which reads: "I am sweating like a rapist".

I am not going to go into the whole Jacob Zuma story (I had to use every ounce of restraint I had in order not to post about it while the rape trial was going on), except to say that the entire rape trial was a fiasco and a complete embarrassment to this country on a number of different levels. (The charges were, however, dismissed, and rightly so, I have to admit (in terms of legal reasoning), but this is one of my reasons for labelling it a fiasco, in that the accuser, due to childhood trauma, appeared psychologically unstable and should have been better evaluated, counselled, and prepared before this matter went to trial.)

(If you wish to learn more have a look at IOL's coverage of the trial and its aftermath or either the brief Wikipedia entry on the matter or the main Jacob Zuma entry.)

Wider-angle image of the Jacob Zuma stencil

Above: Some of the barricades surrounding the Mandela Rhodes Place development with the stencilled Jacob Zuma graffiti image.

I just thought that this particular piece of protest was highly amusing and interesting, especially since the trial concluded three months ago. (I put that down to African Time.)

*Yes, yes, I know. By writing about not writing about it I'm actually breaking the rule...

**Take that any way you like.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger kyknoord said...

An now he's been immortalised in pixels. The time lag is puzzling, though (even if you factor African Time into the equation). Oooh, now this is creepy: my verification word is "bmppx".

Thursday, August 17, 2006 8:40:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

Perhaps it took this long to perfect the stencil. You need to get such things just right.

Oooh - my verification word is: "eobcmhaw". It's not really creepy but it is a lot of typing.

Thursday, August 17, 2006 9:36:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

Actually, I thought it was quite a useful...er...use of spraypaint.

If you used a laminated newspaper photo people would probably steal it. This way, it's a little bit more diffcult.

(I said "a little bit". This is South Africa, after all.)

My new verification word is "lxtmogxa", which I think is almost Bushman speak, so it's very PC.

Monday, August 21, 2006 9:54:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

Actually it's a sign that the tagger owns him. Sweet.

(In a "frjqdvim" kind of way.)

Monday, August 21, 2006 10:58:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

The signature is a sticker that was plakked on his forehead very vendetta-style. And yes, I did use my new avmyo camera.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 10:07:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

Maybe that's exactly what someone did. I don't know. I just took the photos. I wasn't there supervising.

(If I had been I wouldn't have recommended the sticker, and would have commanded that s/he/it aoockjy it.)

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 4:36:00 PM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

What? WH-AT?? Shameless self plugging in my blog?

That is a crime punishable by a proper beating with a big stick of ukouyb.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 10:47:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

You sound like you're on fxsahgqq. Is it becoming a problem?

Friday, August 25, 2006 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

Once? What a lie, especially since I've seen you with sxhylhgm at least three times.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

Well, you see, here's the ynvmlt problem.

• fxsahgqq (I suspect)
• mvxouj (once, which you admit to)
• sxhylhgm (three times - I'm pretty sure about that)
• wpoambgz (twice, which you also admit to)

Now anyone reading this will come to the same conclusion that I did: mixing your drugs (nevermind adding alcohol) is bad for your mental capacity. (And your posts here are proof that it's diminished.)

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 4:41:00 PM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

You are not making sense! You're on pills! And grncrv!

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 9:59:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

Actually, I heard that onkawe is all natural and healthy and blah blah blah, but I haven't tried it because I don't consume things I cannot pronounce.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Home

(Since Blogger broke my template you'll have to access
older/newer posts via the archive links in the sidebar.)