Thursday, September 25, 2008

Attention International Googlers: Natalie Becker Is Not A Lesbian

(Nor Will She Be Appearing At Your House Scantily Clad In Leather (Except, Perhaps, On Your Big-Screen TV))

I mean, as far as I know South Africa's Natalie Becker is not a lesbian. Maybe she is. Let's speculate in the comments, shall we?

Background, for those interested, or confused:
A few years ago I wrote a blog post (with a rather scathing undercurrent...well, okay, overcurrent) about Natalie Becker's MCing abilities, which had been marring my enjoyment of cultural events all over Cape Town. Soon after I made the post she disappeared off the MCing scene. I was both elated, as I was feeling that perhaps I'd been a bit hard on one of our own and would now have an excuse not to continue (plus I'd have more pleasant Kirstenbosch Summer Concert experiences) and dismayed, as I could no longer continue The Natalie Becker Game, which had briefly proved to be a source of amusement to myself and a few of my friends.

I was trolling my blog stats today, which is something I remember to do every few months, and the stats were clogged with Google searches of "Natalie Becker" from all over the world - Australia, Ireland, India, Egypt, Italy, the US, Slovakia....

Usually I get a search or two about her a month. All of a sudden it's multiple times a day. My intuition told me something was up!

Off I went to do some research, which I present here, so that you don't have to.

Natalie Becker is starring (in a non-principal actor, non-lesbian (I think - I haven't seen the movie) kind of way) in The World Unseen, a Indian-lesbian-themed movie set in apartheid-era South Africa, as well as The Scorpion King 2: Rise Of A Warrior, a seemingly straight-to-video* bomb that was filmed near Cape Town. Could more disparate universes collide more forcibly, more spectacularly, or more fantastically? I think not!

But, the plot thickens.

There is also a Russian bellydancer named Natalie Becker (a pseudonym, I'm sure). Is this the scantily-clad individual piquing the interest of adolescents and lesbians the world over? I wonder. It's quite mysterious.

Anyway, hello to Natalie Becker Googlers, whomever you may be searching for, since you'll be finding this page now too, I presume. In fact, I'd be interested to know what you were looking for, if you'd like to leave a comment.

I mean, you can be honest - is it the bellydancer?


*Cape Town is pretty much the straight-to-video filming capital of the world, so no surprises there.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi .. was googling Natalie Becker (Scorpion King 2) first to see if she was Danie in tv's Life cop series and then to determine if she was the Russian bellydancer.. indeed she was neither.. a new face :)

Sunday, November 23, 2008 12:57:00 PM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

Indeed. She's definitely South African but I suspect you will be seeing more of her in forthcoming wide-release feature films as her career appears to be on the up.

Thanks for letting me know your path to this post. I appreciate it!

Monday, November 24, 2008 3:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw the bomb of a movie Scorpion King 2 and the only thing that made the movie worth watching was Natalie. Good God she is beautiful...wow! She looks either Thai or Vietnamese. Hope to see more of her soon :-)

Monday, January 12, 2009 9:22:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

If she was the only good thing in the movie (I haven't seen it - and probably never will, considering all the awesome reviews, ha ha), I'm sure Hollywood will be taking notice.

Monday, January 12, 2009 10:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You people, admit SHE IS DAMN HOT!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:15:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

LOL. I think that's been repeatedly inferred.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whats her ethnicity?
i am so curious

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:18:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

She is Coloured (or possibly Cape Coloured).

If you've seen The World Unseen (which I have, since posting this post many years ago), she's the ethnicity that the two British actors are supposedly representing in the movie.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was Googling Natalie because she is hands down the most beautiful woman on the planet, (not the belly dancer), the actress and MC you speak of.

Friday, April 15, 2011 3:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious as to what her ethnic background is as well. I think she looks like she could be African/Asian mix. What do you know about her?

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:25:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

As I said above to a previous commenter, she is a Coloured person from (as far as I know) the town of George in the Western Cape province. She may specifically have a Cape Coloured heritage, but I don't presume to know that for sure.

(By the way, in South Africa "Coloured" is not a derogatory term.)

I would recommend reading those articles for a little bit of cultural education. Coloured people comprise one of the four major ethnicities of South Africa.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't see her in all of the other features that you listed mind you that this is a few year later. I discovered on the series Strikeback that just finished its second season here in the States (and I believe is film in South Africa). She's is freakin' awesome.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 5:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Home

(Since Blogger broke my template you'll have to access
older/newer posts via the archive links in the sidebar.)