Tuesday, July 03, 2007

When Life Hands You An Orange ...

Someone left an orange on top of the unopened box of CD sleeves that is sitting on our bookshelf/storage thing in the office. (We don't have a cupboard. We have a four-block by five-block storage thing. I have no other word for it.)

(As you can imagine, this is going to be a rather arbitrary [glossary] blog post. I'm in a mood.)

Annoyed, I moved the orange to on top of the filing cabinet that we inherited with our office space. The filing cabinet is rather manky [glossary], and doesn't lock, so we don't actually use it for anything, except now I'm using it to balance an orange.

I moved the orange about two weeks ago.

Today it's still there, on the filing cabinet. I just noticed it again out of the corner of my eye and felt irritated.

I was hoping the owner would magically reclaim it at some point, much like s/he magically placed it on our bookshelf thing a few weeks ago. This hasn't happened.

I'm not sure of what I should do. I don't know why this has suddenly become my responsibility. I have enough responsibility. I really don't need the "random orange that won't go away and should be dealt with" responsibility too.

It's 11am. That orange is annoying the hell out of me.

It's going to be a long day.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger crayola dude said...

Go on, be a devil.

Throw it at the tea-lady.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 12:13:00 PM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

LOL.

I would, but she actually likes me, and that's a relationship I wouldn't want to mess with. The consequences could be dire!

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 12:28:00 PM  
Blogger crayola dude said...

Well, it's either that, or you wait until the orange goes all browny-blacky, and wrinkled like a cats bum.

Your call... :)

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

I am assuming that that is what is going to happen, as I really don't want to have any further involvement with this particular orange.

I hereby declare it a scientific experiment.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 12:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toss it. If anyone whines, tell him or her that it fell foul of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, 1993 (Act no 85 of 1993) as amplified by the Regulations for Hazardous Biological Agents (GNR 1390 of 27 December 2001) and that you were simply trying to prevent a Group 1 HBA from becoming a Group 2 HBA. [not making any of this up, btw]

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 1:20:00 PM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

> [not making any of this up, btw]

Which scares me more than you will ever know.

(Nevertheless, I think I will have it printed on a sign. Or a T-shirt.)

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 1:25:00 PM  
Blogger Francois Maree said...

Do I have to do ALL the thinking over here? I placed the orange there because you looked like you were getting the flu. Peel the damn thing and eat it.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 3:28:00 PM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

Yeah, right. I'll just eat The Random Orange*.
Sure.

*And Other Strange Tales From The Dark Continent.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 3:37:00 PM  
Blogger Francois Maree said...

Don't say I never offer you nothing...

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 8:49:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

I don't think I could because I'm not sure that made sense.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 9:44:00 AM  
Blogger crayola dude said...

Ten bucks says somebody else eats the orange, and doesn't get sick, and you get the fluesies.

Oh yes.

I'm a betting man, me.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 4:46:00 PM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

I'd take you up on that bet, but I'm not a betting Man(dy).

And I'll try not to take offense at my reader(s) wishing illness upon me in the interest of financial gain...

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 4:55:00 PM  
Blogger crayola dude said...

No no no... Not wishing illness at all. It's just, you know, science. Or some shit...

Thursday, July 05, 2007 12:07:00 PM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

Gambling!

Be a man! Admit it! Gambling.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 4:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL

From an orange to gambling in a few short comments.

All I can say is it could be worse, it could have been a guava.

Monday, July 09, 2007 2:29:00 PM  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

Ha ha! True.

In a few days we are moving offices so I'm hoping to say goodbye to the random orange once and for all.

Monday, July 09, 2007 3:04:00 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

LOL great post.

Stud it with cloves and put it into your storage thing so 1) It will smell nice when you open it and 2) It won't remain empty so then you can give it a name like "my pot pourie holder".

Monday, July 09, 2007 7:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Home

(Since Blogger broke my template you'll have to access
older/newer posts via the archive links in the sidebar.)